Sunday, November 12, 2017

Setting a Trap.

This afternoon I made my way into the mountains to do a little demonstration on trapping. This was for the purpose of filling an AMM requirement. 6. Must be able to demonstrate trapping ability using steel traps, snares, and traps made from natural materials found in the area. As many states do not allow the use of some, or any, of these traps, the actual taking of game is not required, although it is suggested where possible and legal.
I didn't have time to make an actual camp before the end of the year so I merely did a demo. Hopefully next spring I'll be able to get out and lay some traps for real. Due to the lack of funds I could not purchase a hand forged trap so I used a #5 Bridger.
Thanks to my wife for taking the pictures.

 I started out by cutting a willow for a stake and pealing the bark off.
 Then I set the trap.
 Placed it
 Hammered in my stake.
 Then dipped a stick with bait.
 Might be some Blackfeet nearby.
  Adios.

3 comments:

  1. No reason to not trap a beaver with the set as shown. Good job and kudos to the photographer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Matt! Here's hopin' we both get to do some trapping in the coming season.
    Maybe the Missus will skin 'em for ye!
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt Where are you???? You haven't been active since last November. I miss your blogging.

    ReplyDelete